Monday, August 6, 2012

Math Notebooks

Math Notebooks...Where to begin?

As a brand new Middle School Math teacher, I am sure that my notebook will go through an incredible amount of transition!  In the past, I have always been a big binder person and expect that to remain constant.  I love a good organization system where everything has a home!  In our Middle School, each boy is required one binder for two classes.  Since I am moving away from the homeroom model, I am trying to wrap my brain around their work (and the student) only being with me for 45 minutes!

I plan to stick with some version of  a Table of Contents.  This helps them organize their notes while also holding them accountable.  I love the reflection that offers down the road as well.  I like to have the binder split into Notes, Practice, and Graded Papers.   This is our first year as a 1:1 as well as my first time using online text books.  With that in mind, I would like to use as little paper as possible, so I think I will set up a new Google Site for students who prefer to take notes digitally.

Thanks to http://ispeakmath.wordpress.com/ for putting together the idea of math teachers collaborating on one idea this month!!

 

14 comments:

  1. I used to have my Geography students keep their notebook chronologically with an index at the front that we filled out together. They (for the most part) liked it that way because when they needed to study, it was all in order by unit.

    Having a digital option is great as some will like that better. I can't wait to see all that you do in this new journey! You'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Did you use binders or spiral notebooks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For taking digital notes have you thought about having your students make LiveBinders? They could have a gdocs notes page on one tab and then helpful resources on another tab. I've been thinking about doing something like this myself. They could even have my class page on a tab and other teacher's tabs on other pages. I may have to start working on this. We went 1:1 last year and I found that some students get lost in their computers easily.

    Julie
    ispeakmath.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I just started exploring LiveBinders- wow!

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you on splitting them into sections. I plan to do that, but put notes/foldables in notebooks, vocabulary into a brad folder, and practice/homework into binder and then pulled out/stapled/put into file folder each 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if left to their own organization techniques, everything would end up shoved in their backpack so separating and organizing as much as a general rule will (in theory) at least get half the papers out of the bottom of the backpack:) I also like the idea of pulling out every 6 weeks!

      Delete
  5. I look forward to hearing how the 1:1 works out. I'm new to my district - so I don't know the status of technology yet. But if my students have access I'd love to do something with g-docs. I need to explore livebinders. I see that mentioned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved using g-docs in the fifth grade, and I am looking forward to using that with livebinders (new to me)!

      Delete
  6. Just subscribed to your blog as I am very interested in seeing how your 1:1 plays out. We aren't there and I doubt we will be fore quite some time.

    http://liveteachcreate.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The middle school had the seventh grade go 1:1 last year as a way to transition. So not only is it my first year teaching middle school, it is the first year teaching it as a 1:1 model...lots of good change in the forecast:)

      Delete
  7. I feel really stupid - I'm a brand new (not yet employed) teacher. What do you mean by 1:1? I only know this term as it refers to paraprofessional aids for students. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laurie, You should not feel stupid! I was not clear- 1:1 meaning each student has their own laptop. Good luck finding a position:)

    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Digital notetaking sounds cool and all but you will have kids who know themselves metacognitively well enough to know that they learn better when notes are in their own handwriting with corresponding doodles, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Digital notetaking sounds cool and all but you will have kids who know themselves metacognitively well enough to know that they learn better when notes are in their own handwriting with corresponding doodles, of course!

    ReplyDelete