Monday, August 6, 2012

Beginning of School

As I think about the beginning of school, I am struck by the differences in how I prepped for fifth grade compared to things I am thinking of for seventh graders (probably won't have cute paisley border around my calendar, don't need to make a job chart for milk or attendance, and I don't have a supply list that takes up an entire page for students).  Going to the middle school after being an elementary school teacher is going to take some adjusting, but I am hopeful that the type of teacher I am is not defined simply by the age or subject I teach, but that it is more of a reflection of how I teach, what I believe, and how I prioritize in the classroom.  That doesn't really change with this shift in positions- I still believe that every student deserves a chance to learn in a safe environment free of ridicule and where taking risks is not only safe but encouraged.  I still plan to teach how I would like to be taught...with engaging lessons that are based on a real world need.  Students in fifth grade want to know "why" they have to learn something, and I expect middle school students will be the same way...and high school students...and college students! I still plan to do small group activities, collaborate with other schools, and have the students work on meaningful projects that require hands-on activities.  I still plan to include technology as an infused part of our curriculum, not an add-on, and I firmly believe that math does in fact allow for plenty of technology to be used in the classroom.

So when people ask me if I am nervous about all the changes, I try to remember that teaching is teaching.  Am I nervous about the differences, the unknown, and the new culture- a little.  I am much more excited as I have learned that change can be good, great even.


1 comment:

  1. You sound right on track :) Welcome to Middle School!!!

    ReplyDelete